Sunday, October 2, 2022

Islamic State claims bombings inside mosque at Kandahar in Afghanistan

The terror group said that two IS-K suicide bombers carried out the attack on Friday inside the mosque

Islamic State (IS) terror group on Saturday claimed that its Khorasan branch (IS-KP) carried out the twin bombings inside the Shia mosque — Imam Bargah-e-Fatima Mosque — at Kandahar in Afghanistan, that claimed the lives of 63 people while injuring 83 others.

In the statement, the terror group said that two IS-K suicide bombers carried out the attack on Friday inside the Bibi Fatima Shia mosque in the city’s police district one (PD1) when hundreds of worshippers were offering prayers.

The statement said that the first suicide bomber detonated his explosives in the hallway of the mosque and while the second did it inside.

Initial reports had said that there were three suicide bombers who shot at security guards of the mosque and then entered and detonated their explosive vests.

It is the second deadly attack by the group in the past two weeks targeting the Shia Muslims in Afghanistan.

Friday’s attack came exactly after a week when another Shia mosque in Kunduz city was hit by a suicide bombing which claimed the lives of at least 50 people.

The IS-K had claimed responsibility for the attack, which was the deadliest since the US forces left Afghanistan at the end of August.

On Friday United Nations Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the horrendous terrorist attack against Mosque.

Council President Martin Kimani said that the members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the horrendous terrorist attack against the Imam Bargah-e-Fatima Mosque in Kandahar, Afghanistan, on 15 October.

Eyewitnesses spoke of gunfire alongside the explosions, and a security guard assigned to protect the mosque said three of his comrades had been shot as the bombers fought their way in.

The attack also follows several other recent attacks against religious institutions in Afghanistan, including last week’s attack against the Gozar-e-Sayed Abad Mosque in Kunduz.

The members of the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, and they wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured.

He reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.

The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice.

They urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard.

The members of the Security Council reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed.

They reaffirmed the need for all States to combat by all means, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations and other obligations under international law, including international human rights law, international refugee law and international humanitarian law, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts.


Comments

Your email address will not be published.

Name *